Thursday, June 3, 2021

27 May 2021 Return to Moab

 Hanksville leaves a lot to be desired in the way of resources.  There is a market that’s more like a 7-11 and the nearest liquor store with the best selections is in Moab. We hadn’t a chance to stock supplies before we hit the road.  A grocery run was absolutely necessary! It also dawned on me that I had promised my dear Friend Pamela Rundell I would find her son Lee who recently moved to Moab.  Since David was working all day, it was the perfect opportunity to kill a few birds with a single road trip. I had an extensive grocery list, a few postcards to mail, a liquor list, and plan to find Lee at Sorrel River Ranch Resort on the Colorado River.  I decided to get the chores done first since it was middle afternoon.  Lee was recently hired as head bartender at the resort and I figured it would be about 4:00 before he showed up.  I headed down the road that follows the river with a truck full of supplies.  We had driven it several times.  It’s amazingly beautiful with sheer red cliffs that loom above you as the river flows between them on both sides. About 20 miles into it, I came upon the entrance to the Resort.  Beautiful place. The horses roam on a green pasture of grass as a few are being saddled for an afternoon excursion.  The lodge was well laid out with big windows in back looking out onto the river.  When Lee showed up, I introduced my self as a college friend of his mother’s.  He was quite stunned that someone who knew him as a baby and his family was in Moab! We had a nice visit and he treated me to a glass of wine.  He lives on the property due to the remote location.  He’s really a very nice 26 year old trying to find himself.  He’d been here about 6 weeks but had yet to make it to the park.  I took a selfie and sent it to Pamela saying “Guess who I found!” It felt good to keep my promise to her!


Lee and Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment